Monday, October 22, 2012

Fish Girl

Starting the 2week blogging session about bullying and Suicide. This is a very serious topic; and I hope I can honor that in which so many people buckle under the stress and strain that a bully can put a person through....
But today, to start: I wanted to talk about the bully.
 
***
I never thought about her.
 
Not often, I mean.
 
That harsh radiance
That exuberance
Of her ever fainted frown
 
I...
 
I never really paid attention to the crown of her head
Split down the middle as hair began to form
Covering up what could be mistaken
As thoughts but I never really paid attention to it
 
So maybe they were,
But maybe they were the truth.
 
That would explain a lot.
 
That would explain everything.
 
She had beautiful wrists.
Tiny and nimble
Wrapped around a palm when I grabbed onto her
From pinky to thumb
Oh, hush tone now.
You talk too much without saying words
Just sounds
That no one can make sense of
So no one comes to rescue you from
Under the garbage bags…
 
She smelled of fish.
 
I remember that.
 
That guttural urge I got when I looked at her.
 
She was a fish
She belonged in water
She floated to the top
Upper belly
She can't swim
She was pushed in
She
 
She sank to the bottom of a test tube
Swiveled around
Passed in the papers
 
She slept with the fishes for all I know.
 
Now we all know, I guess
 
But water would never be the death of her,
Because water is like concrete:
It held her down as it filled inside her ears
Ringing and popping like
Fireworks in her eyes
Blinding everyone else
And they never saw what She
What I…
 
She was invisible.
 
The tiny little rock floating in orbit
Around the planets and stars
I knocked her out of orbit
Crashing into the earth
But she must have burned up in the atmosphere
As she descended
 
Down
 
Down
Down
 
Down
 
And hid herself in the earth
Away from the sun beams
Away from the stars and away from...
 
Sometimes I wish she never existed,
But days like this I hate her-I..
 
She never did anything but breathe the air in which
All creatures share but I
I guess I took it too personally
Because I'm not good with sharing
See
 
I'm the girl who hands bigger than her head
Who goes to hug and strangles instead
I can't lift your spirits
But I sure can lift you into the air; high
Throw you into the dumpster left for the night vultures
I can't –
 
I can't swim either
But I don't sink down into the earth
 
I stay.
I sit.
 
I shy away from those thought bubbles bursting from her head
So maybe...
 
Maybe
 
Maybe that's why I smashed it into the lockers
Maybe that's why I covered her head in day old lunchables
Pushed her into the pools of everything I just didn't want to hear, to face;
 
To be---
 
I never payed attention to her.
I guess everyone else is now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment